Me and my PCOS


I was diagnosed with Polyscystic Ovarian Syndrome in 2008. I went to see a Gynecologist as I was having really bad menstrual cramps, and I was having quite heavy bleeds for longer than my girlfriends. When she checked, she said I was actually going through a miscarriage. I didn't even know I was pregnant, as my periods were irregular ever since I can remember. I was even put on the pill when I was in University- to help regulate my cycle. The minute I stopped the pill, it was back to "normal" irregular cycle for me. (which meant 5 days menses, 4 days off, 3 days spotting, a week off, 2 months no menses- that kinda thing) So, when she mentioned PCOS to me, I obviously panicked. The first thing I thought was.... No kids. Second was....Surgery (the word Cyst can scare any women at any point in time). She reassured me that it was nothing to worry too much about. 1) If I didn't want to get pregnant: I should consider going on the pill to regulate my period 2) If I was feeling broody- She would put me on a pill what the diabetes takes (at this point I didn't quite understand the "why's" but because my husband and I was already married for 3 years, we thought, yeah, why not) So I was on the pill what the diabetics patients take and folic acid vitamins. That was 9 years ago, my daughter is no 8 years old. She monitored my pregnancy and confirmed that I will most likely have a normal delivery and because she only handles special cases, I had to move to see a different gynecologist. I was having normal menstrual cycle as after 2 months of giving birth, I decided to not use the birth control pill, but IUD instead, until i was ready for a second baby. I went through a normal pregnancy again the second time, and my son is now 3 years old. Last week, I decided to see my first gynecologist my other Gynae was on holiday. Everything was "normal" but she reminded me about my PCOS condition. (which I had to understand all over again, because I was under the impression that PCOS's side effects were- no kids). But I was wrong...She reminded me that due to PCOS- I will have a harder time to loose weight because PCOS meant (now, to me) = insulin resistance--> the body have a problem using insulin which meant: TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT!! what is PCOS? So, this Blog will be full of photos of my food- as the bottom line for me to control this condition is- What I put in my mouth. From a girl who HAS to eat Rice/ bread everyday, who has a sweet tooth, who loves Fries and Pizza (Dominos or Pizza Hut, doesnt matter), who drinks Starbucks mocha and Nescafe Ice on the days I run (which is mostly everyday).... I need to stop ALL that. So no Rice/bread- carbo, processed food and cut all sugar drinks. My journey began at lunch time, 19th July 2017.

Comments